Friday, July 27, 2012

The Third London Olympics 2012. The Greatest Show on Earth is about to begin



It is finally happening. Tonight sees the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics which is happening in my own borough. After years and years of waiting and countdowns, it is about to start. Travelling back yesterday to London from a family wedding abroad I noticed on Greek TV news that they were describing it as, "The Third London Olympics". I knew about the 1948 Olympics but had forgotten about the 1908 event.

The opening ceremony will take place about a mile or so away from me which I will watch on telly. I will look out of the bedroom window to see if I can see the fireworks.

I haven't got any tickets yet. Watching competitive sports has never been my thing. However, I do feel genuinely excited and pleased at the prospect of the "Games".  I think that the investment in Newham and the rest of East London has been well worth all the construction works and expected congestion. It has brought together the community in a way that nobody expected.

My elder sister is a sports fanatic and a professional gymnastics coach (who is currently hopping around with her foot in plaster after yet another break). I can remember when we used to fight as kids during Olympics over what to watch on the telly (in those days there was only ever one). She wanted wall-to-wall sport while I wanted anything but.  She still reckons it is best on TV rather than watching live since she doesn't miss anything. No change there then.

I will try and get some tickets to some of the less popular events so I can say "I was there" but I won't be that disappointed if I can't. There will be more than plenty to do during the next few weeks.  I'll try and post as and when.

4 comments:

Gilberdyke said...

I'm actually pleased to hear you say you don't have tickets, Many Newham residents might have supposed that these would be passed around councilors as freebies. I know from my time as a co-opted member that there is criticism of some of the hospitality offered to and accepted by members. So it looks like some credit is due to the Council here.

John Gray said...

Hi Gilberdyke

and what a great show is was last night!

Gilberdyke said...

As Lincoln said "People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like".

John Gray said...

Hi Gilberdyke

He also said:-

"you can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time".

I think that the vast majority of folk who saw this show were also completely knocked out by it :)